Annual Pit Fire Festival celebrates the arts

The annual Pit Fire Festival will be held on Friday, October 5 starting at 5:00 pm at the Cochise College Douglas Campus. This year, the festival will have a Renaissance theme. The free event will feature live music, performances, art displays, vendors, savory soup from the Cochise College Culinary students, and fireworks. The headliner band will be The Rooks out of Bisbee.

Ceramic artist, Jonathon Arvizu, a student at Cochise College was selected to design and create 1000 bowls for the festival. For $10 you can purchase the hand-crafted ceramic bowl which will be filled with savory soup made by the college’s culinary arts club.  All of the proceeds support the college’s art department and clubs who participate as vendors.

Sophomore potter and Fine Arts major, Jonathon Arivizu hails from Douglas, Arizona.  “My family moved to Douglas when I was around seven years old,” he says. Arivizu will be graduating this fall semester with a degree in Fine Arts. “For two years, I have been enjoying creating pottery. The ceramics class made a huge impact in my life,” Arvizu added. “I am extremely honored to be selected as the artist for Pit Fire and knowing that 1000 of my bowls will be used and part of different homes.” Arivizu reclaimed all of the clay used for this project.

The Pit Fire Lighting is scheduled to be around 8:00 pm. A pit fire is an ancient method of “baking” clay that has been placed in a hole or pit dug into the ground with a wood fire burning above, resulting in pieces covered in swirls of colors and patterns. Cochise College celebrates this technique with a festival to celebrate the arts. Dry, windy and unstable weather may delay the Pit Fire Lighting. Please be aware many vendors accept only cash and there are no ATMs on site.

For more information, go to the Pit Fire website or like our facebook page Cochise College Pit Fire Festival.

Arivizu working on a ceramic bowlPit Fire Ceramic Bowls