Residency & Taxes

Student Tax Information

Current tuition & fees tax year 1098T form in the Vangent TRA Service website. If this is your first time accessing the Vangent TRA Service website, you will need to create an account before viewing your tax information.

Residency Status

You should have legal residency determined prior to the time of registration and payment of fees. Your residency determines your classification for tuition. It is your responsibility to register under the correct residence determination.

Enforcement of residency requirements and regulations are the responsibility of the Cochise College president. For legal policy definitions, see the Cochise College catalog.

Students will need to provide Prop 300 documentation before Arizona residency or in-state tuition can be considered. Prop 300 requires verification of eligibility for in-state tuition rates for U.S. citizens and qualifying legal immigrants. See “Citizenship” below.

You are considered an in-state student once you have lived in Arizona for one year, or, if you are a dependent, your parent(s) has lived in Arizona for a year or more. You also may be considered an in-state student if an employer transferred you or your spouse to Arizona. Applicants who are members of the U.S. armed forces or Homeland Security who are stationed in Arizona also are considered in-state students. Members of Arizona Indian tribes recognized by the U.S. Department of the Interior also are in-state students.

All students requesting in-state residency will need to provide verification of Arizona residency of at least one year, except for the students noted above. The residency verification may be considered complete if the item(s) provided for fulfillment of Prop 300 is an Arizona driver’s license or ID that has an issue date of more than one year. If the Arizona driver’s license or ID does not have an issue date of a year or more, an additional item will be requested. See “Establishing Residency “ below for a list of acceptable items.

A Domicile Affidavit (PDF) needs to be filed with the Admissions Office verifying continuous residency in the state for a 12-month period. At least three of the following items will be used to establish proof of residency:

  • Filing of state income tax report for the previous year.
  • Current registration of motor vehicle in Arizona.
  • Current registration as a voter in the state.
  • Arizona driver’s license issuance date.
  • Graduation from an Arizona high school.
  • Bank statement (checking or savings) from an Arizona banking institution.
  • Source of support (employer).
  • Dependency as indicated on federal income tax declaration for dependents.

If you have lived in Arizona for less than one year, you are considered an out-of-state student for tuition purposes, unless you qualify for an appropriate Tuition Waiver Program.

The Arizona Board of Regents adopts guidelines applicable to all institutions that ensure uniform criteria is used in determining tuition status. If you are not a resident of Arizona, you may not register concurrently in two or more public higher education institutions in Arizona for a combined credit-hour enrollment of more than six semester hours without payment of non-resident tuition at one of those institutions.

Cochise College’s registration procedure for credit classes complies with requirements of Proposition 300, a referendum approved by Arizona voters in November 2006, which provides that college students who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents, or who do not have lawful immigration status, are not eligible for in-state tuition status or financial aid that is funded or subsidized by state monies.

  • You are NOT affected by Proposition 300 if you (a) do not receive in-state tuition status and (b) do not receive financial aid funded by state monies (Arizona).
  • You ARE affected by Proposition 300 if you (a) receive in-state tuition status or (b) receive financial aid that is supported by state monies (Arizona).

Follow these steps to verify your citizenship or legal immigration status:

Once proof of citizenship status is determined, it will be updated only when receipt of new information is submitted by the student and reviewed by the appropriate college office. For example, when a visa expires, it must be renewed if state supported aid is to be provided.