Welcome! Our fall student contest is underway!
This is an opportunity for Cochise College students to showcase their work. We take entries in art, prose, and poetry.
First prize is $50
Second prize is $25
Third prize is $15
Winners will receive Amazon gift cards.
Hurry! Use the form below to submit your piece. We will take entries through January 2020.
Also, we have a new website! Visit us to see the latest in student work and writing.
Mirage Literary and Arts Magazine
Mirage Literary and Arts Magazine is produced by Cochise College each academic year. Hard copies of Mirage 2019 can be obtained at both the Douglas and Sierra Vista campus libraries.
Now taking submissions for Mirage 2020!
We are now soliciting submissions for the 2020 issue. Although we take submissions year round, to be considered for Mirage 2020, please send your work by February 28, 2020.
Residents of both Cochise and Santa Cruz Counties and students of Cochise College are welcomed and encouraged to submit up to three works in each of the following categories:
Poetry (2,000 word limit),
Prose (4,000 word limit),
Artwork (Photos of your work must be 300 dots per inch and at 100% of its original size).
Students will be automatically entered into the contests if work is received by February 28, 2020. First prize in each category is $50, second prize is $25, and third prize is $15.
Winning the contest does not guarantee publication in Mirage 2020.
The process: Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your work attached. Please name your files with the title of your work and remove all identifying information. In the email, please indicate if you are a Cochise College student or a community member and write 2-3 sentences about yourself.
Works are selected for publication via an anonymous process. Each submission is judged without disclosure of the writer’s or artist’s name.
Possible revisions: Authors may be asked to make some revisions to their work. You will be contacted and can work with a faculty member on revisions so that your work meets the publication standards for the magazine.
All work must be the original creation of the author or artist. Please do not submit work that uses copyrighted material or stories based on popular characters, i.e. “fan fiction.”
Fair use guidelines: Cochise College upholds the highest level of respect for intellectual and creative property rights, and will not accept works of art or writing containing derivative subject matter, characters, themes, plots, and imagery with or without formal copyright unless the submitted works fall appropriately within fair use law standards.
Fair use resources:
Mirage Literary and Arts Magazine has a three-part mission:
- Mirage serves Cochise and Santa Cruz Counties by showcasing high-quality art and literature produced by community members and Cochise College students.
- Mirage serves Cochise College by establishing the College as the locus of a creative learning community.
- Mirage further serves Cochise College students by providing them an opportunity to earn college credit and gain academic and professional experience by participating in all aspects of the production of the literary and arts magazine.
Mirage Literary and Arts Magazine
Cochise College | 901 N. Colombo Ave.
Sierra Vista, AZ 85650 | Mirage@cochise.edu
Kristen Welch | Sierra Vista Campus
(520) 515-5315 | email@example.com
Ella Melito | Douglas Campus
(520) 439-6845 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Alex O’Meara | Douglas Campus
(520) 452-2612 | email@example.com
- Courtney Skaggs Art Scholarship 2.5 GPA Art Major Sierra Vista campus student Financial Aid 1 @ $1,000
- Julia Houston Arias Memorial Fund (DEP) Education or art major documented need preference given to minority students Financial Aid 1 @ $600
- Rose V. Land Memorial Scholarship Area of study: Art in any form (including but not limited to drawing, painting, music, theater, ceramics, graphic arts, etc. Benson Center students or residents of Benson/St David area Financial Aid 1 @ $500
- Archie V. Taylor Memorial Scholarship FT demonstrated need applicant must have earned high school diploma or equivalent three or more years prior and not attended another college 2.0 or higher GPA English, art, or music majors NOTE: to be used for tuition, registration, fees and books Financial Aid 2 @ $1,000
Also, please visit the Huachuca Art Association’s website for details on a scholarship for $1,500!!!